Research in Model-Based Testing and Verification
Testing and debugging account for more than half of the software development costs and are becoming serious bottlenecks in the software development process. The problem is intensified in embedded systems due to the tight coupling between software and its hardware platform; hence, embedded software is often tested too late and too little and in an ad-hoc and unstructured manner. Concurrency faults are particularly difficult to find and are extremely difficult to reproduce. Due to their critical application areas, faults in embedded systems may turn into failures with very severe consequence.
A promising solution to testing issues lies in automated Model-Based Testing (MBT) processes, which provide a structured approach to testing from high-level behavioral models. Our vision is that MBT is instrumental in mechanizing and integrating the test process in the development cycle. Moreover, embedded software is particularly suitable for MBT, because operational (behavioral and reactive) aspects play a prominent role in its correctness. Our research agenda is to provide practical industrial strength MBT solutions, that can deal with product lines of embedded systems.
- V. Hafemann Fragal, A. Simao, A.T. Endo and M.R. Mousavi, Reducing the Concretization Effort in FSM-Based Testing of Software Product Lines, Proceedings of the 13th Workshop on Advances in Model Based Testing (A-MOST 2017), IEEE, 2017.
- H. Beohar and M.R. Mousavi. Input-Output Conformance Testing for Software Product Lines. Journal of Logic and Algebraic Methods in Programming, 85(6): 1131-1153. Elsevier, 2016.
- A. Aerts, M. Reniers, and M.R. Mousavi. Model-Based Testing of Cyber-Physical Systems. Chapter 19 of H. Song, D.B. Rawat, S. Jeschke, and Ch. Brecher, Cyber-Physical Systems Foundations, Principles and Applications. pp. 287--304, Elsevier, 2016.
- M. Mohaqeqi and M.R. Mousavi. Sound Test-Suites for Cyber-Physical Systems. Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Software Engineering (TASE 2016), pp. 42-48, IEEE Computer Society Press, 2016.
- N. Khakpour and M.R. Mousavi. Notions of Conformance Testing for Cyber-Physical Systems: Overview and Roadmap (Invited Paper). Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Concurrency Theory (CONCUR 2015),. LIPIcs–Leibniz International Proceedings in Informatics, 2015.
- H. Beohar, M. Varshosaz, and M.R. Mousavi. Basic Behavioral Models for Software Product Lines: Expressiveness and Testing Pre-Orders. Science of Computer Programming, Elsevier, 2015.
- N. Noroozi, R. Khosravi, M.R. Mousavi, and T.A.C. Willemse. Synchrony and Asynchrony in Conformance Testing. Software and Systems Modeling (SoSym) 14(1): 149-172, Springer, 2015.
- H. Beohar and M.R. Mousavi. Input-Output Conformance Testing Based on Featured Transition Systems. Proceedings of the 29th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, Software Verification and Testing Track (SAC-SVT 2014), ACM Press, 2014.
- S. Keshishzadeh, A. Mooij, and M.R. Mousavi. Early Fault Detection in DSLs using SMT Solving and Automated Debugging. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Software Engineering and Formal Methods (SEFM 2013), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 2013.
- V. Vishal, M. Kovacioglu, R. Kherazi, and M.R. Mousavi. Integrating Model-Based and Constraint-Based Testing Using SpecExplorer. Proceedings of the 4th Workshop on Model-based Testing in Practice (MoTiP 2012). IEEE CS, 2012.
- M. Woehrle, R. Bakhshi, and M.R. Mousavi. Mechanized Extraction of Topology Anti-patterns in Wireless Networks. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Integrated Formal Methods (iFM 2012), volume 7321 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 158--173, Springer, 2012.
- H.R. Asaadi, R. Khosravi, M.R. Mousavi, and N. Noroozi. Towards Model-Based Testing of Electronic Funds Transfer Systems. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Fundamentals of Software Engineering (FSEN 2011), volume 7141 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 2012.
- Vanderson Hafemann, Ph.D. Student, Joint with Adenilso Simão, Universidade de São Paulo, Brasil (Science without Borders Project)
- Sebastian Kunze, Ph.D. Student, EFFEMBAC Project
- Wojciech Mostowski, Assistant Professor, AUTO-CAAS Project
- Mohammad Mousavi, Group Leader, Principal Investigator for AUTO-CAAS, EFFEMBAC, and MBT4SPL
- Masoumeh Taromirad, Postdoctoral Researcher, EFFEMBAC Project
- Jan Tretmans, Guest Professor, IGP Project Financed by the KK Foundation
- Mahsa Varshosaz, Ph.D. Student, MBT4SPL Project
- Prof.dr. Holger Hermanns, Saarland University, Germany
- Prof.dr. Jan Peleska, University of Bremen and Verified Systems International GMBH, Germany
- Dr. Adenilso Simão, University of São Paulo, Brasil
- Dr. Tim Willemse, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands
Past Members and Associates
- Xu Fei, Programmer and Assistant, (FAR-EIS Project, 2015-2016)
- Harsh Beohar, Postdoctoral Researcher, Halmstad University (MBT4SPL Project, 2013-2015) (Currently: Postdoctoral Researcher at Universität Duisburg-Essen)
- Neda Noroozi, Ph.D. Graduate, Eindhoven University of Technology Ph.D. thesis (2010-2014, Currently: Test Specialist at NSpyre)
- Muhammad Atif, Ph.D. Graduate, Eindhoven University of Technology (2007,2011, Cuurently: Assistant Professor at Lahore University)
- Matthias Raffelsieper, Ph.D. Graduate, Eindhoven University of Technology (2007-2011, Currently: Technical Solution Engineer at Google)
Visitors (Past and Present)
- Sofia de Costa, Ph.D. Student, Instituto de Ciências Matemáticas e de Computação, Departamento de Ciências da Computação, Universidade de São Paulo, Brasil (June 2015)
- Jeroen Keiren, Assistant Professor, Open Universiteit Nederland, The Netherlands (August-September 2014 and June 2015)
- Arend Aerts, Masters Intern, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Control Systems Technology Group, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands (February - April 2015)
- Bartjan Volmers, Masters Intern, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Control Systems Technology Group, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands (October - December 2014)
- Morteza Mohaqeqi, Ph.D. Student, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Univ. of Tehran, Iran (May - June 2014)
- Jan Friso Groote, Professor of Embedded Systems, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands (August 2013)
Mohammad Mousavi, Professor of Computer Systems Engineering